Key trip details
- Length: 3 days/2 nights
- Max client/guide ratio: 3:1
- Max group size: 8, including up to two guides
- Primary objective: learning
- Teaching level: intermediate
- Physical intensity: moderate
- Prerequisites & Expectations: yes
- Trip itinerary
Who should take this trip?
This trip is designed for backpackers who want to extend their season into the winter months. Within that context, it is ideally suited for:
- Ambitous beginners who are especially interested in winter travel
- Intermediate backpackers
- Advanced backpackers who have little or no winter experience
Why should you take this trip?
Winter travel is related but notably different than 3-season travel. In particular, it requires a more vigilant attitude and an additional set of gear and skills. On this trip, you will learn how to backpack safely and comfortably in winter conditions, despite this season’s inherent challenges: cold temperatures, stormy weather, avalanche hazards, long nights, snow-covered trails, and moisture management.
More reasons to take this trip:
- World-class guides provide high-level instruction
- Competitive prices, especially considering what you get
- Free demo gear for you to use and experiment with
- Discounts and free product from 10+ vendors
What you will learn
For a full list of subjects taught during this course, view the Curriculum.
Winter backpacking is an extension of 3-season backpacking. Thus, my planning framework is identical and many of my skills are transferable For example, I still conduct an Environmental & Route Condition Assessment, and I still need to know how to navigate and to stay hydrated.
However, it’s more complicated in the winter. I will need skis or snowshoes, probably — plus different footwear, skins, and/or waxes. I will need to know how to identify a route for optimal snow conditions and to navigate safely through avalanche terrain. And I will need to melt snow for water, to minimize perspiration during physical activity, and to layer my clothing such that I can make easy and fast adjustments.