“Considering the amount of knowledge and experience that Andrew is able to relate to each participant, [Andrew’s] trips are simply a bargain.” – Wes T, Colorado
I really wanted to learn the basics of backpacking. I’d like to get more into the sport, and want to actually be self-sufficient vs. “glamping.” You also immediately replied to my emails, and your price is very competitive. — Jackie C, Durham, North Carolina
“$1375 is a lot of money. The trip was worth every penny to me.” — Jeff C, Indiana
“So much value is provided pre-trip compared to other guide companies. There’s so much value for the cost. Andrew, you really need to raise your prices!!!” — Jonathan K, New York
The prices are per person, and the same for every location.
- Fundamentals (3 days): $675
- Adventure (5 days): $1,375
- Adventure (7 days): $1,875
- Expedition (7 days): $2,745 + $1,100 flight surcharge*
These prices include the Application Fee ($25) and the online Planning Course ($175), which are both required.
* Alaska flight surcharge
This is a direct pass-through cost. I collect it up-front, pay the carriers, and issue a refund after the trip if the total costs were less than budgeted.
I estimate that total flight costs for the 2021 trips will be $1039 per person, for three one-way flights. The $61 cushion hedges against some risk of price increases, scheduling changes, or unexpected bail-out flights; any extra amount will be refunded.
- If you are an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client and are part of a group of 2+, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client who is joining an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you participated in the online Planning Course, subtract the cost of your tuition.
Discounts cannot be combined, and are not eligible on the Alaska trips.
Tipping your guides is customary. For a job well done we recommend 10 to 20 percent of the trip’s cost, total for both guides (or 5 to 10 percent per guide).
Cash or check is preferred, and should be given directly to the lead guide, or split between the guides as you see fit. Electronic payments are also accepted; refer to this page for Venmo, PayPal, and Zelle information.
- $25 Application Fee
- $175 online Planning Course
- World-class backpacking guides and instruction
- Group gear, e.g. first aid supplies, repair kit, emergency communication device, etc.
- Backcountry permit and/or backcountry campsite reservations
- Breakfasts and dinners
- Demo gear, including shelters, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, stoves, and backpacks
- Product discounts from partner brands
- Free digital download of a high route guide ($25 value), pending completion of our post-trip survey
- Transportation to/from the trailhead
- Park entry fees, if applicable
- Daytime food/snacks
- Personal gear and supplies
- Guide gratuity (see above)