“Priceless! The pre-trip classwork and time in the field was worth every penny. I am confident that I will be able to take everything I learned and apply it to any future trip.” — Jenn B.
“The guides are world-class, the locations are some of the best in North America, and the routes are far beyond what most people get to see. The focus on building your backpacking skills rather than simply guiding sets this company apart from any other, and I feel better equipped to take newcomers into the backcountry. Exceptional value!” — David B.
“So much value is provided pre-trip compared to other guide companies. There’s so much value for the cost. Andrew, you really need to raise your prices!!!” — Jonathan K.
Trip prices were unchanged 2017-2021. For 2022 I have raised them marginally to help offset inflating prices and to increase guide wages accordingly.
The prices are per person, and the same for every location.
- Fundamentals (3 days): $715
- Adventure (5 days): $1,475
- Adventure (7 days): $1,975
- Expedition (High Sierra, 11 days): $2,875
- Expedition (Alaska, 7 days): $2,875 + $1,200 flight surcharge*
These prices include the Application Fee ($25) and a 9-week online planning course based on Plan Like A Pro ($175).
In Utah we are offering a Wilderness First Aid certification add-on for $125 extra.
* Alaska flight surcharge
This is a direct pass-through cost. I collect it up-front, pay the carriers, and issue a refund after the trip if the total costs were less than budgeted.
- If you are an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client and are part of a group of 2+, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client who is joining an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you participated in the Plan Like A Pro online course, subtract the cost of your tuition.
Discounts cannot be combined.
Expedition-level trips are not eligible for discounts.
Tipping your guides is customary. For a job well done we recommend 10 to 20 percent of the trip’s cost, total for both guides (or 5 to 10 percent per guide).
Cash or check is preferred, and should be given directly to the lead guide, or split between the guides as you see fit. Electronic payments are also accepted; refer to this page for Venmo, PayPal, and Zelle information.
- $25 Application Fee
- $175 online planning course
- World-class backpacking guides and instruction
- Group gear, e.g. first aid supplies, repair kit, emergency communication device, etc.
- Backcountry permit and/or backcountry campsite reservations
- Breakfasts and dinners
- Loaner gear, including shelters, sleeping bags, stoves, and backpacks
- Product discounts from partner brands
- Free digital download of a high route guide ($25 value), pending completion of our post-trip survey
- Transportation to/from the trailhead
- Park entry fees, if applicable
- Daytime food/snacks
- Personal gear and supplies
- Guide gratuity (see above)