“Priceless! The pre-trip classwork and time in the field was worth every penny. I am confident that I will be able to take everything I learned and apply it to any future trip.” — Jenn B.
Bang for your buck!! The class before the trip was invaluable in how they provided teaching in multiple areas along with providing individual feedback. The forum allowed us to learn from each other as well. The detailed assistance and feedback with pack items and weight will forever change how I backpack. The actual trip was the icing on the cake. The guide team were rock stars with so much experience and knowledge yet were so personable and humble and helpful and FUNNY. Andrew is a master at putting together groups of people who are similar in fitness level, experience, and will enjoy each other. Our group wants to stay together and do another Skurka trip next year. The trip was all we could have hoped for in instruction level, experience, and enjoyment. –Belinda J.
“So much value is provided pre-trip compared to other guide companies. There’s so much value for the cost. Andrew, you really need to raise your prices!!!” — Jonathan K.
2023 prices (per person)
All prices below include the Application Fee ($25) and a 9-week online planning course based on Plan Like A Pro ($175).
For backpacking trips in Utah, Colorado, California, Washington, and West Virginia:
- Fundamentals (3 days): $745
- Adventure (5 days): $1,645
- Adventure (7 days): $2,075
- Expedition (11 days): $3,175
For backpacking+canyoneering trips in Utah:
- Expedition (5 days): $1,945
- Expedition (7 days): $2,445
For Wilderness First Aid courses:
- Online + one in-person day: plus $245
- Online + integrated into 7-day trip: plus $295
For trips in Alaska:
- Expedition (7 days): $3,075 + $1100 flight surcharge*
- Expedition (11 days): $4,375 + $1100 flight surcharge*
* The flight surcharge for Alaska trips is a direct pass-through cost. I collect it up-front, pay the carriers, and issue a refund after the trip if the total costs were less than budgeted.
Expedition-level trips and Wilderness First Aid courses are not eligible for discounts. Expeditions are priced with the assumption that participants are mostly (and sometimes exclusively) alumni. WFA courses are already priced below-market to make them a more accessible add-on.
Discounts cannot be combined.
- If you are an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client and are part of a group of 2+, subtract 10 percent.
- If you are a first-time client who is joining an alumnus, subtract 10 percent.
- If you participated in the Plan Like A Pro online course, subtract the cost of your tuition.
Tipping your guides is customary. For a job well done we recommend 10 to 20 percent of the trip’s cost, total for both guides (or 5 to 10 percent per guide).
Cash or check is preferred, and should be given directly to the lead guide, or split between the guides as you see fit. Electronic payments are also accepted; refer to this page for Venmo, PayPal, and Zelle information.
- $25 Application Fee
- $175 online planning course
- World-class backpacking guides and instruction
- Group gear, e.g. first aid supplies, repair kit, emergency communication device, etc.
- Backcountry permit and/or backcountry campsite reservations
- Breakfasts and dinners
- Loaner gear, including shelters, sleeping bags, stoves, and backpacks
- Product discounts from partner brands
- Free digital download of a high route guide ($25 value), pending completion of our post-trip survey
- Transportation to/from the trailhead
- Park entry fees, if applicable
- Daytime food/snacks
- Personal gear and supplies
- Guide gratuity (see above)
Financial need-based scholarships are available. Learn more and apply.