February 27, 2004

When my hip flexor first started to bother me on Day 2 of my first attempt, I never thought it would lead to this. Three weeks after stopping my hike, and still not fully recovered, I have decided to delay my re-start until mid-May or early-June, when I will start from the Pacific Ocean heading east to Quebec.

My heart tells me to get back out on the trail next week, which is when I think I will be ready to start hiking again. But I know that this is a risky move, and in the long-term it is the wrong one. The probability of getting re-injured is very high: I have been cold-turkey for 3-weeks now, unable to build or maintain strength (the lack of which was ultimately to blame for this injury). Plus, soon after starting I will be snowshoeing or XC-skiing through Michigan — something I would have felt comfortable doing 3-weeks ago but not now.

It is very frustrating (as well as a bit painful and humbling) to make this decision. The C2C is a project and a challenge to which I am totally committed. I am not sure if anyone – even my parents – is fully aware of my intense passion for it. Like a girl who plays hard-to-get, now I want to finish the C2C even more – and I think it is an experience deserving of my attention and my dedication.

For the next 8-weeks (starting this Tuesday) I will be working in Boulder, CO, for GoLite on their new website. This is a timely opportunity, and I am guardedly excited about developing new content for the site and training in the Rockies, where the inspiration for the C2C really took hold last summer. Honestly, if I need to delay my re-start by 2.5-3 months – which I feel is the case – I could not ask for a better situation.

After the 8-weeks, I will start in Washington as soon as it becomes feasible, which is usually late-May (depending on snow depths in the Cascades and Glacier). I would pass through the North Country late in the summer – no bugs! – and spend the winter months in Ohio and Pennsylvania, waiting until late-February or March to enter New York. I will donate many ounces of blood to the mayfly and mosquito populations in the spring, and could finish in Quebec by Independence Day 2005.

Posted in on February 27, 2004

Leave a Comment