I am looking for one additional person to help guide my 2018 trips. Employment will be short-term and seasonal: probably 11 days total in July or September, in either Colorado or California. You will work with other world-class backpacking guides, including Alan Dixon, Flyin’ Brian Robinson, Mike Clelland.
Please apply only if you have:
1. Female expertise. Are you intimately familiar with the female backpacking experience? Can you speak confidently to women about preferred clothing and equipment, hiking style and safety, and women-specific hygiene concerns? Could you successfully lead an all-female trip in 2019?
2. Extensive backpacking experience. Have you slept on the ground (or between trees) for hundreds of nights and in a variety of seasons and ecosystems? Do you have a robust backcountry skill set?
3. Community credibility. Have you been recognized by media outlets for your accomplishments? Have you written a book or developed route guides? Does your website and/or social media profiles have notable followings? Do you work with outdoor brands as an athlete or ambassador? Have trail associations, hiking clubs, retail stores, or community organizations asked you to speak for their group?
4. Interpersonal skills. Do you enjoy working with people? Can you effectively communicate your thoughts? Are you comfortable managing groups and group dynamics?
5. Physical fitness. Can you comfortably hike consecutive 20-mile days? (Assume that you are: on-trail, in rolling terrain, and at an oxygen-rich elevation (e.g. a moderate section of the AT or PCT); and carrying a normal overnight kit.) Are you comfortable hiking off-trail, on uneven and sometimes loose surfaces, and at elevations up to 12,000 feet?
I am most concerned with the aforementioned qualifications. But I will give greater weight to applications that demonstrate:
- Prior guiding, instructing, or general teaching experience; and,
- Efforts to professionalize your backpacking experience.
You will be paid a daily rate for days in the field, plus one preparation day. Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Thank you for your interest. This position has been filled. I am no longer accepting applications. Please do not send one, thanks.
Please be succinct in your application. Wow me with your most noteworthy qualifications, not every somewhat relevant qualification.
If you have general questions about this position, leave a comment below. I will answer it there, to avoid multiple private answers to the same questions. If you have a question that pertains specifically to your application, please email me.
Andrew Skurka Adventures LLC is an equal opportunity employer.