Next week we start our first 2022 session of Plan Like A Pro, an online course in which students are guided through a holistic trip planning curriculum that’s applicable for every location, season, experience level, and age and gender. The course is interactive, not one-way — students receive individualized feedback for most assignments.
Over 400 students have completed the course. Read 184 testimonials by them. Some of the students have used the framework to plan their first-ever backpacking trip; others have planned multi-week or -month thru-hikes on long trails and high routes.
Registration is officially open for the 2022 course. Sessions start and finish on:
- January 31 through April 3 (registration closes January 29)
- February 28 through May 2
- March 28 through May 30
- April 25 through June 27
In its third year, the focus of the program focus remains the same: how to (better) plan a backpacking trip. Among a few other things, students will learn to:
- Research likely environmental and route conditions like the weather, bug pressure, water availability, and problem bears;
- Select appropriate gear for the conditions and your backpacking style;
- Plan meals, including dinners that go beyond Ramen noodles or expensive freeze-dried packages;
- Assemble a navigation system of maps, resources, and tools; and,
- Acquire requisite skills and fitness for your itinerary.
Class sizes are capped so that the instructor team is not overloaded. Unlike other online courses during which you might passively read or watch content, our course is interactive — your ten assignments will be reviewed, and we host three virtual meetings per session.
The course fee is $175, which I think is an exceptional price for the instruction that is provided. Students are also eligible for free and discounted products and services with partner brands like GaiaGPS, Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs, Sierra Designs, and ULA.
If you have questions, leave a comment below or contact us directly.
Leave a Comment