The Planning Curriculum will prepare you for your trip with us, and parts of it can be easily replicated and applied to future trips of your own.
Participation in the Planning Curriculum is required. At a minimum, you are expected to:
- Plan your personal travel (2 hours);
- Contribute to the conditions assessment (1 hour);
- Complete a gear list (4 hours);
- Prepare your personal daytime snack food (2 hours);
- Participate in a virtual group chat (2 x 30 minutes);
- Meet or exceed the fitness thresholds for your trip; and,
- Pack your gear and food prior to traveling (2 hours).
Additional participation is encouraged. The more you invest in the process, the more you will get out of it. Other opportunities include but are not limited to:
- Creating a sample mapset in CalTopo (1 hour);
- Volunteering to teach a skill to the group (30-60 minutes); and,
- Prompting conversation in the group, like to get suggestions for footwear or food types.
Table of contents
The Planning Curriculum has eight parts, designed to be reviewed and completed in order.
2. Conditions assessment
3. Gear selection
4. Fitness & training
- Share your training regimen and tips with your group
- Contact Andrew if the fitness requirements concern you
5. Food preparation
- Recommendations on daytime snacks/lunch
- Our breakfasts & dinner recipes
6. Route & map making
- Route planning
- Map tutorial
8. Last-minute items & reminders
- Assignment: Join our virtual meetup
- Complete your Participant Agreement and Health History
- Confirm that you are properly signed up for Demo Gear