Below are gear lists from many of my past trips.
They do NOT necessarily represent what I would take today if I were to repeat the trip. In fact, it’s likely I’d make quite a few changes, especially in the case of gear lists from long ago (e.g. the Appalachian Trail in 2002), before I had really figured out how to backpack. I am continually learning from my experiences and improving my kit accordingly. I also incorporate the newest breakthroughs in product materials and design.
These gear lists are NOT suitable for all applications, conditions, people, or backcountry skill levels. You are responsible for determining their appropriateness in these regards, and for ultimately deciding what to carry into the backcountry. Backpacking can be dangerous; please be sure that your skills and equipment are adequate for the conditions you will encounter.
I provide these lists because they can be useful guides in developing your own gear kit. Learn from them, but please do not blindly follow them.
- Alaska-Yukon Expedition | March-September 2010
- Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic | July 2009
- Alaska Four-Range | June-July 2009
- Hayduke Trail & Grand Canyon Traverse | February-March 2009
- Iceland Traverse | July & August 2008
- Sierra High Route | July 2008
- Great Western Loop | April through November 2007
- Northern Minnesota | January 2007
- Unsupported Long Trail Yo-Yo | Sept-Oct 2006
- Yellowstone National Park | September 2006
- Unsupported Colorado Trail | August 2006
- Colorado Trail | July 2006
- Pacific Crest Trail – California | June & July 2006
- Sea-to-Sea Route: Northern Rockies & Northwest | Late-May through Early-July
- Sea-to-Sea Route: North Country | Jan-March 2005
- Sea-to-Sea Route: Atlantic Provinces & Northeast | Late-Summer & Fall 2004
- Colorado Trail | June 2004
- Appalachian Trail: Finishing | August 2002
- Appalachian Trail: Starting | May 2002