At home, where I have a fully array of kitchen tools — e.g. measuring spoons and cups, multiple pots and // More
- Gear List — High Sierra — Late-Summer
- Gear List — Colorado Backpack Elk Hunt
- Gear List — Backcountry Nordic Ski Touring
- Gear List — North Face 50 Mile Ultra Run
- MYOG: Fancy Feast Alcohol Stove
- Female hygiene: a backcountry guide
- My tarp guyline system
- Hammock Camping — A 3-part series
- Minimizing effects & aftermath of wet feet
- Hike “fast” by hiking efficiently
Registration for 2015 trips is now open. I am offering four types of courses:
- Level 1: Backpacking Fundamentals
- Level 2: Southwest Adventure
- Level 3: Rocky Mountain Adventure
- Level 3: Winter Backpacking
All trips filled on the first day that registration opened in early-January. Additional registrations will be placed on a waitlist in the event of a cancellation (which do happen).
In the Shop
Backcountry cooking: An argument for soups and gruels
Is it wrong to “profit” from your passion? Not at all.
February 21, 2015
Recently I’ve read criticisms in several places that I’m “profiting” off of backpacking and that my primary motivation now is to “make // More
My 2015 ultra running race schedule: Strategy & considerations
February 17, 2015
A non-running subject to start. Join me on Thursday, February 19 at 11am PST for a live online event about backpacking shelters. // More
Darn it, lost my sunglasses. Replacement shopping decisions.
Last month I sadly lost my Julbo Dirt sunglasses, which I’d owned since late-2011 and which I’d used for hundreds // More
Metabolic efficiency test results: I’m a butter-burner!
January 30, 2015
In the lead-up to the The North Face 50 Mile Championships in December, I was looking for any “edge” that // More
Lessons learned in Big Bend National Park’s Mesa de Anguila
January 2, 2015
Editor’s Note. Russell has been on two of my guided backpacking trips, and in April will join a third. He // More